[Corpora-List] Soviet Phonetic Alphabet

Paul Johnston paul.johnston at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jul 19 13:54:09 UTC 2012

Hi

Wondering if anyone could help?

I have a book written in the Soviet Union in 1979 and it has  phonetic transcriptions of Bartang proverbs and sayings.

In addition to the usual Cyrillic characters used for Tajik there are some other different characters.

There are what I would best describe as "w" (could be Omega \u0460) ,  "=", "a gamma with an inverted circumflex",  " a delta" and "o with diaersis",  "I" (Palochka \u04c0) among others.

These appear to have been hand written onto the original before it was copied, Ammonia dyeline printing perhaps :-)?

I assume this is a Soviet version of the IPA but could anyone supply and more details as I would like to convert this into IPA.

Cheers Paul

Everyone agreed that Clevinger was certain to go far in the academic world. (p91)

Paul Johnston
W1.19 Samuel Alexander Building
Manchester University
0161-306-3327 (63327)