[Corpora-List] Soviet Phonetic Alphabet

Christian Pietsch chr.pietsch at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 24 17:26:41 UTC 2012

Hi Paul,

although I cannot fully answer your question, I might be able to point
you in the right direction.

One non-IPA phonetic alphabet that was popular in the USSR is named
after Рубен Иванович Аванесов (Ruben Ivanovich Avanesov, also
transcribed as Avanessov). I was able to find one rudimentary chart
mapping it to IPA (or МФА in Russian) and two other phonetic notations
(Щерба/Ščerba/Scerba and Матусевич/Matusevič/Matusevic) that were used
in Soviet Russia. This chart is for Russian only and will not help you
much with Bartang I'm afraid: http://phonetics.spbu.ru/man/pril2.html

The other document I found discusses representing Slavic scripts in
Unicode and touches on Slavic phonetics and Avanesov's notation in
section 3.3:
http://kodeks.uni-bamberg.de/slavling/downloads/SK_Slavic_Unicode_I.pdf
(Sebastian Kempgen: Unicode 4.1 and Slavic Philology. Problems and
Perspectives (I). In: Computer Applications in Slavic Studies.
Proceedings of "Azbuki.Net" International Conference and Workshop,
24–27 October 2005, Sofia, Bulgaria. Sofija 2006, 131-159.)

I hope this helps a little bit.

Cheers
Christian

--