[Corpora-List] how many subscribers are there on corpora-list?

Hieu Hoang Hieu.Hoang at ed.ac.uk
Wed Aug 21 13:22:02 UTC 2013

On 21 August 2013 13:23, John F Sowa <sowa at bestweb.net> wrote:

> On 8/21/2013 7:08 AM, Trevor Jenkins wrote:
>
>> The single number doesn't mean anything.
>>

> I agree with that statement.  What I believe people want to know is
> the impact of various lists relative to other methods of sharing
> their thoughts with colleagues in related fields.

we once tried to measure the impact by measuring the URL click-through when
we released a LM software that was of interest to the NLP community. The
email went out to several mailing lists.

However, we didn't set up the experiment correctly (wasn't simultaneous,
same URL etc) so the result was highly suspect.

I think someone advertising a conference or software can do the same and it
would be a good measure of readership

> The simple answer is that nobody really knows how to measure impact
> in any absolute sense.  Even relative impact is extremely difficult
> to measure.  And any numbers that are generated are suspect.
>

> On 8/21/2013 6:24 AM, Hieu Hoang wrote:
>
>> imo, it is an imperfect but useful bit of information to gauge the
>> relative popularity of the mailing list. In Oct 2010, i asked the same
>> question for some popular NLP/SMT mailing list:
>>      Corpora list : 3600
>>      EAMT - 792
>>      Moses - 630
>>

> But what is the relative percentage of email that subscribers actually
> (a) read, (b) delete within N seconds of being opened, (c) do anything
> about -- such as reply to, click on a URL, use as a starting point for
> further searches, etc. ?
>
> John

Hieu Hoang
Research Associate