[Corpora-List] Building a corpus from Twitter & Tw's privacy concerns

John D. Burger john at mitre.org
Tue Jul 16 15:44:08 UTC 2013

There appears to be no legal reason you can't collect a corpus of tweets.  However, per Twitter's Terms of Use you cannot redistribute the tweets to others.  A common practice is to instead distribute the tweet IDs, which other people can use to fetch the tweets using Twitter's API.  This is how NIST "distributes" the data in their Tweets2011 corpus:

http://trec.nist.gov/data/tweets/

This is less than optimal for research, though, since in the interim some of the Twitter users may have deleted tweets in the collection. For a sufficiently large corpus, this means that anybody else attempting to use the same data at a later date will almost certainly end up with a subset of your corpus. As far as I know, however, this is currently the only legal method for sharing tweets.

- John Burger
  MITRE