[Corpora-List] V Object into V-ing

David Wible wible at stringnet.org
Wed Nov 20 12:17:34 UTC 2013

Stefan Gries and Anatol Stefanowitsch have published on this in regard to
their work on lexically sensitive constructions: Stefanowitsch and Gries
(2003) "Collostructions: Investigating the interaction of words and
constructions" devote a subsection to this construction (sec 3.2.1), and
Gries and Stefanowitsch (2004) "Covarying col;exemes in the into-causative"
are two that come to mind, esp if you are looking for corpus linguistic
work on the construction.

If you'd like a quick n dirty way to explore this construction in BNC, try
StringNet Navigator (nav.stringnet.org) using  'into verb' as search string
(no scare quotes needed). Use 'search options' to set string length at 2 to
4 to get less noise in the list of patterns given. The #2 pattern shown
would be a case of the construction: 'be forced into v-ing.' Click on
'forced' in that string to get all the other verbs attested there in
passive form and their frequency.Or click on its 'parent link' to get the
more abstract: be [verb] into v-ing and see what verbs occupy those slots.
Click on examples etc. Navigate around to find the 'active' versions (force
[s.o] into v-ing). Interesting to compare the different distribution of the
verbs in the active vs passive versions, etc.

Best,
David