[Corpora-List] Corpora Digest, Vol 75, Issue 9

Laura Christopherson llchrist at email.unc.edu
Mon Sep 9 13:08:12 UTC 2013

Hi All and liling,

I'm happy to talk with you about WoW corpus creation off list. Just
email me back.

A few things to note:
- Bots are disallowed, and if you use one you can be banned from WoW.
- Richer WoW chat is a matter of having toons (avatars) at all
experience levels who can travel to multiple zones/cities and engage in
multiple types of activities (and thus communicate a variety of chat
channels). And if you can get chat from multiple servers and both
factions, great.
- Some IRB committees may feel uncomfortable with this because you do
have to have a userid/password to get into WoW. So you will need to
ensure you are taking extra precautions to protect identities. I can
tell you more about what I put in my IRB which was exempted.
- I'm happy to send you my dissertation which includes details on how
the corpus was collected. My corpus included non-WoW-chat texts, so you
can just ignore all the parts that don't pertain to WoW chat collection.

Thanks,
Laura Christopherson