[Corpora-List] World of Warcraft Corpus

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Tue Sep 10 13:14:33 UTC 2013

On 9 Sep 2013, at 06:46, liling tan <alvations at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of any compilation of World of Warcraft (WoW) chat corpus?

Have you checked the WoW terms and conditions? Other MMORPGs (e.g. Linden Lab's SecondLife) restrict what can be done with chat and interpersonal chat (IMs) between players. They do not permit clandestine collection and desemination of chat/IM messages without the consent of all parties concerned. The specific clause in their document (https://secondlife.com/corporate/cs.php) is:

>> Remotely monitoring conversations in Second Life, posting conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without the participants' consent are all prohibited.

You should check whether WoW allow the creation of a chat corpus. My initial reading their terms of use would make me very wary of capturing any chat/IM text other than for personal use. (I use my SecondLife chat/IM logs to ensure my role play persona/personas is/are consistent.)

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!