[Corpora-List] World of Warcraft Corpus

Craig Pfeifer craig.pfeifer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 17:18:27 UTC 2013

Having played the game, I think it might be interesting to collect the
conversations of folks who are trying to attain the same goal. There are
different situations where this occurs:

Player vs. Player : http://www.wowwiki.com/Player_vs._Player
Raids : http://www.wowwiki.com/Raid

Player vs. Player (PvP) is just what it sounds: there is a scenario with
two opposing teams and a goal, usually:
- capture and hold territory
- infiltrate the other base, gain an item and bring it back to your base
- defend your base

There are text chat channels for all folks in the scenario, and for each
team.

Raids are where a group of players that are trying to defeat a non-player
enemy. Raid groups can be anywhere from 5 to 40 depending on the specific
scenario. Raids tend to be more coordinated, as the non-player enemy's
tactics are known up front and players are expected to know them and act
appropriately (aka "don't die"). Raid groups tend to be composed from
player groups called guilds, which players can join to reap the benefits of
playing the game with their friends.

There are also text chat channels for all folks in the raid, but the really
good groups tend to use voice chat. It is hard to chat via text while you
are also using the keyboard to play the game.

Just my $.02

Craig

craig.pfeifer at gmail.com