[Corpora-List] World of Warcraft Corpus

Clai Rice cxr1086 at louisiana.edu
Wed Sep 11 16:57:53 UTC 2013

I had a student who wanted to do this some years ago. After looking at
terms of service, we decided the only way to do it ethically was to stand
in one of the trade or auction zones. He collected an interesting corpus
of selling language that he compared to print want ads, but there was very
little in it interesting for other kinds of interaction.

There was one other idea, which was to adopt a linguist persona in the
game, and go everywhere saying "I'm a linguist, can I please record our
conversation for anonymous use?" and get people to assent. We never tried
it.

The YouTube idea is a good one--there are hundreds of thousands of game
videos posted. But it would be hard to get any information about speakers,
and conversations are not always complete.

Clai Rice