[Corpora-List] WordNet vs Ontology

Jim Fidelholtz fidelholtz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 19:09:45 UTC 2014

Hi, All,

As a Natural Language ProcessER, with a rudimentary understanding of the
term 'ontology' (now somewhat clearer thanks to earlier comments), I would
like to comment on the original question, which seems to have come from
someone with as many problems with (understanding) the term as I have.
While there can, of course, exist ontologies of ontologies (whatever you
might want to call them), my NL understanding of the term leads me to the
conclusion that 'elements of an ontology' (or even elements of a listing,
dictionary, etc.) are not *as such* 'ontologies', although they may
independently qualify under some definitions as such.

While, as a mathematician and sometime dabbler in philosophy, I am familiar
with logical notions, as a linguist I have almost always been very
skeptical of the applications of logic to linguistic structure. Many very
brilliant people have attempted to force language into a logical mold, to
my mind with *very* limited success. We could discuss the reasons for this
relative lack of success from a linguistic point of view, but I strongly
suspect it has to do with what Gödel showed about a century ago, that *all*
systems (with the appropriate footnote here) ineluctably lead to at least
*some* (read: an infinite number of) contradictions. Well, even though I am
not very familiar with all the later literature on this question, which has
no doubt found at least some ways to limit the deleterious effects on
science of this discovery, I am still a linguist and plan to remain one
(which I consider being a scientist) and continue to try to find
demonstrable results within the structured quagmire that is language. Well,
despite my rather convoluted, probably ambiguous way of expressing myself,
you know what I mean!

Jim

James L. Fidelholtz
Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje
Instituto de Ciencias Sociales y Humanidades
Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla, MÉXICO