[Corpora-List] WordNet vs Ontology

Obrst, Leo J. lobrst at mitre.org
Wed Aug 6 21:02:14 UTC 2014

WordNet is more of a lexical resource, i.e., a thesaurus, whereas ontologies are a "conceptual" resource. WordNet does go beyond the usual thesaurus, hence the usual confusion.

Yes, think of an ontology class name (as in OWL ontologies, other FOL ontologies are somewhat different) as being just a symbol (e.g., the OBO ontologies use a kind of gensymed URI/IRI), with actual natural language labels, and altLabels (from SKOS, a W3C standard for controlled vocabularies, thesauri, etc.) as being the actual names in various natural languages. Most OWL ontologies use an actual natural language "name" for ontology classes and properties, contrary to this practice, just for ease of human ontologist usage. But one can think of many different vocabularies (e.g., distinct commmunities, distinct natural languages, etc., say, modeled in SKOS) as mapping to the same ontology.

Thanks,
Leo