[Corpora-List] WordNet vs Ontology

Eduard Barbu eduard_barbu at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 21:39:06 UTC 2014

Hi
all,

Let
me contribute to this discussion by making some necessary clarifications :
1.    Princeton
Wordnet is lexical database that organize nouns, verbs and adjective and
adverbs. The organization of adjectives is not based on ontological principles. The main
relation that organizes the adjectives is antonymy and antonymy is a linguistic
relation. When someone asks if the Wordnet is an ontology they only refer  to
nouns.This is the first problem.
2.     The nouns are structured by two relations in Wordnet : hyperonymy and meronymy. Both are linguistic relations. For example in the well know
paper "Introduction to Wordnet: An Online Lexical database "the authors define in this way the hyponymy relation :
“Much
attention has been devoted to hyponymy/hypernymy (variously called subordination/superordination,
subset/superset, or the ISA relation). A concept represented by the
synset {x, x1, . . .} is said to be a hyponym of the concept
represented by the synset {y, y1, . . .} if native speakers of
English accept sentences constructed from such frames as An x is a (kind
of)”
Please notice that the definition of hyperonymy is not formal
but it is based on the judgement of native English speakers. The native English
speakers tend to accept many constructions that are not ISA relations in the
formal sense. Some of this constructions have been discussed in many papers (e.g. see papers from Nicola Giuarino's group ) .Therefore if you ask : Is the part of Wordnet that is organized
by the hyponymy relation a taxonomy? The answer is : it is not because the
hyponymy relation is not a ISA relation in the formal sense. However the discussion is complicated by the fact that other constructs improperly called taxonomies extracted from Wikipedia or  corpora  are not taxonomies strictly speaking. The other relation
that organize the nouns is meronymy. This is also a linguistic motivated
relation and not very well defined either. In conclusion : Wordnet is not an ontology but everybody calls it a lexical ontology.
Best Regards!
Eduard