[Corpora-List] Corpora Digest, Vol 80, Issue 11 - JR Firth

Michael Pace-Sigge michael.pace-sigge at uef.fi
Mon Feb 10 11:16:02 UTC 2014

J. R. Firth not collocated with 'collocation' or
      'colligation' in the first place (Xu Jiajin)

Dear Jiajin,
I do not believe Firth made the claim of being first. I think H.F. Simon and Firth worked closely together and palmer's work was, until the 1960s, the gold-standard for Applied Linguistics and Firth would have been aware of Palmer's (and Hornby's) work. The term COLLIGATION is also used will before the 20th century - Wundt, an early psychologist, makes specific use of it. Details can be found in my own (2013) publications.

Best,

M.

Dr. Michael Pace-Sigge
Senior Lecturer,