[Corpora-List] [Corpora List] Absolute Frequencies

Krishnamurthy, Ramesh r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Thu Feb 27 12:56:20 UTC 2014

Hi Bob (if I may)

Is your post in response to Cedric Krummes's post which i responded to previously?

If so, I cannot agree with (but perhaps I did not fully understand it?) your argument...

To take your example case... a corpus of encyclopedia articles about Australia,
and a corpus of articles from the *same* encyclopedia about *England/UK*
[to keep variables to a minimum] would indeed show differences in their word
frequency lists.

However, assuming that all the articles in that encyclopedia were written in
approximately the same 'house style', and followed the same guidelines for selection of topic
and manner of treatment of various topic types, but that there was a significant difference
in the corpus sizes (eg, say, A = Australia = 10 texts = 100,000 words, E = England/UK
= 20 texts = 200,000 words [or vice versa, depending perhaps on which country
it was produced in, or for which market]), a comparison of raw/absolute word
frequencies might suggest that, say, 'the' was twice as frequent in corpus B as in
corpus A.

By 'normalising' both raw/absolute frequency lists to frequency per 1000
words, would we not obtain a better comparison? The fact that 'Sydney' or 'kangaroo'
was more frequent in corpus A than B would be useful linguistic confirmation of
our real-world knowledge of the primary topic of each corpus, and interesting insights
into which features of Australia or England/UK were deemed to be important by one
encyclopedia publishing house?

The decision about whether to normalise to 'frequency per 1 million words' or 'frequency
per 10,000 words' or 'frequency per 1000 words' is not a decision about the 'normality'
or 'abnormality' of the corpus contents? That could only be addressed by compiling corpora
of other topics, other encyclopedias, other data-types/genres, etc?

best wishes
Ramesh

----