[Corpora-List] (no subject)

Krishnamurthy, Ramesh r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Thu Jul 3 12:11:51 UTC 2014

Hi Michal
I think you have missed the point.

It is not about *liking* but *focussing*... (i.e. *noticing*?)...

If you look at a page of text, your *attention* will be more
attracted to an *unfamiliar* word or usage in the text, rather
than to any of the hundreds of word usages that you are already
familiar with?

>>From the point of view of animal development, the *new* is
uncategorised and therefore potentially dangerous, whereas
the *known* has already been categorised. For example, my
cats react immediately to sudden (new, unexpected) noises,
whereas they don't react to familiar/recurrent/continuous
noises. Similarly, they hardly react at all when family members
visit, but rush out into the garden if a new person comes through
the door.

best
ramesh