[Corpora-List] registering conceptual and phraseological prototypes

John F Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Sat Jul 5 14:46:50 UTC 2014

On 7/4/2014 11:16 PM, David Wible wrote:
> I don't quite catch what 'pure sensory concepts' could be... it sounds
> close to an oxymoron... Seems to me both (schema and images) under such
> a construal run afoul of Wittgenstein's critique of rule following and
> the infinite regress entailed.

Main point:  Kant developed a new way of thinking about thinking.
He stated his philosophy in a mixture of traditional Greek and Latin
terms with German terms that he coined or adapted.  His contributions
to cognitive science should not be judged in terms of any particular
definitions, but in terms of their effects on later research.

Details:

  1. Kant's phrase 'reinen sinnlichen Begriffen' has been translated as
     'pure sensory/sensible concepts'.  He was distinguishing concepts
     that are associated with a perceptible image from abstractions that
     could be defined by their relationship to other words.

  2. Kant used the word 'Regel' because he needed some word to describe
     how perception could relate a general schema to a particular
     instance.  Even today, the word 'perception' names the process,
     but it doesn't tell us how it works.

  3. Computers follow rules without getting into an infinite regress.
     Any claims about a regress result from the belief that a conscious
     "homunculus" must be aware of each step of following a rule.  But
     the process of perception itself is not perceptible.

In any case, a discussion of schemata should focus on the research
that was influenced by Kant.  Selz's writings were more detailed, but
less accessible than Bartlett or Piaget.  For an example by Selz with
references, see Figure 12 of http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/semnet.htm

John