[Corpora-List] registering conceptual and phraseological prototypes

David Wible wible at stringnet.org
Sat Jul 5 03:16:03 UTC 2014

"Indeed, our pure sensory concepts are not based on images of objects,
but on schemata.  For the concept of a triangle in general, no image
could ever be adequate.  It would never attain the generality of the
concept, which applies to all triangles...
The concept Dog signifies a rule according to which my imagination
can construct the figure of a four-footed animal in general, without
being restricted to any particular image supplied by experience or to
any possible image I may draw _in concreto_.  (A:141, B:180)"

I don't quite catch what 'pure sensory concepts' could be. I'm sure I'm
missing something here, but it sounds close to an oxymoron. That aside, if
the notion of schema is to dissolve or avoid the problem that 'no image
could ever be adequate' to capturing all cases/instances of triangles, then
I'm not sure schema can do better as long as schema are tethered to 'rules'
for matching schema to specific cases. Seems to me both (schema and images)
under such a construal run afoul of Wittgenstein's critique of rule
following and the infinite regress entailed.