[Corpora-List] Food Resources

Orion Montoya orion at mdcclv.com
Tue Jul 8 18:41:45 UTC 2014

Malmaud et al's (2014) ACL paper "Cooking with Semantics"
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~murphyk/Papers/acl2014.pdf is not a "resource" of the
sort you're seeking but, similar to Teng et al it points to a corpus-driven
approach to inducing some of the things you're looking for—just the sort of
thing we ought to recommend here on corpora-list. Even without the CURD
database that Diarmuid links, a verb in the executable part of a recipe has
a good chance of being a "process", and a noun phrase is likely to be an
"ingredient".

By way of engaging John Sowa's prompt: I'm not sure how to make your
proposed distinction between "ingredient (vegetables, meats, etc.)" and
"additive (seasonings, chemicals)". Oil and acid seem like "chemicals" to
me, but they are also the invariant ingredients of a vinaigrette. An egg
seems like something that would typically be an "ingredient", yet in
something like mayonnaise, the egg yolk is just an emulsifying chemical
that disappears: mayonnaise is really just a bunch of "additives" whipped
into a new substance through "processes". Paprika is a seasoning in
goulash. I think you can make goulash without meat, and possibly even with
no vegetables, but I don't suppose that goulash is goulash without paprika.

>>From a norms-and-exploitations standpoint, it's possible that these
exceptions do not override the typical contribution that these comestibles
make to a dish, so maybe you could call some things "seasonings" and other
things "ingredients". But it's important to choose your categories
carefully. As Anna Wierzbicka writes: "An adequate definition of a vague
concept must aim not at precision but at vagueness: it must aim at
precisely that level of vagueness which characterizes the concept
itself." (*Lexicography
and Conceptual Analysis,* 1985)

Orion