[Corpora-List] examples of the use of the terms "prototypical" or "prototypicality"

Erin McKean erin at logocracy.com
Sat Jun 28 01:26:25 UTC 2014

Dear Corpora-Lers,

Does anyone have handy citations for the use of "prototypical" or
"prototypicality" in corpus linguistics to mean something roughly
equivalent to "the most central use of a word, especially in regards to
referents or collocations"?

I'm thinking of the case where you describe senses of a word in an order
that roughly maps to "core -- periphery" rather than historical order or
frequency of use. E.g. for things like "cask", the "water-tight vessel"
would be a more prototypical sense than the "unit of capacity for what
can be held in a cask" sense.

My feeling is that this is described quite beautifully by Patrick Hanks
somewhere but I can't seem to find a reference!

Any help gratefully appreciated!

Yours,

Erin