[Corpora-List] examples of the use of the terms "prototypical" or "prototypicality"

Francis Bond bond at ieee.org
Sat Jun 28 09:29:33 UTC 2014

I think the classic citation for prototypes is:

Rosch, E.H. (1973): "Natural categories", Cognitive Psychology 4, 328-350.

But this is more on the mental lexicon than from a lexicographic point of view.

I think the wikipedia page gives a decent summary:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototype_theory

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Erin McKean <erin at logocracy.com> wrote:
> Dear Corpora-Lers,
>
> Does anyone have handy citations for the use of "prototypical" or
> "prototypicality" in corpus linguistics to mean something roughly equivalent
> to "the most central use of a word, especially in regards to referents or
> collocations"?
>
> I'm thinking of the case where you describe senses of a word in an order
> that roughly maps to "core -- periphery" rather than historical order or
> frequency of use. E.g. for things like "cask", the "water-tight vessel"
> would be a more prototypical sense than the "unit of capacity for what can
> be held in a cask" sense.
>
> My feeling is that this is described quite beautifully by Patrick Hanks
> somewhere but I can't seem to find a reference!
>
> Any help gratefully appreciated!
>
> Yours,
>
> Erin

Francis Bond <http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/fcbond/>
Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies
Nanyang Technological University