[Corpora-List] Bibliography and corpora regarding English linguistic features and readability

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Thu Mar 6 13:15:14 UTC 2014

>> I have to investigate English texts and assess their readability through
their linguistic features. I am looking for bibliography pointers in those
domains (linguistic features of English, readability assessment).

Jesse Egbert (http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/jae89/index.html) had a very nice PhD dissertation in Dec 2013 this looked at this in great detail, from the perspective of both reader ratings and detailed linguistic phenomena (a quasi-"Biberian" approach): "Reader Perspectives of Linguistic Variation in Published Academic Writing". (See also the top study at http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/jae89/page4.html) . The bibliography was extremely complete and up-to-date. You might check with him (Jesse.Egbert at nau.edu) for additional pointers.

Best,

Mark Davies

Mark Davies
Professor of Linguistics / Brigham Young University
http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu/

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **

I have to investigate English texts and assess their readability
through
their linguistic features. I am looking for bibliography pointers in
those
domains (linguistic features of English, readability assessment).

I would also appreciate any pointer towards corpora containing
annotated
English material of varying difficulty.

Thank you very much in advance for any element you will bring to the
discussion.

Best,
Hugo