[EDLING:274] M.Div. Graduate Student needing direction

Wayne Yang xfwayne at HMONGVILLAGE.COM
Wed Sep 1 20:01:00 UTC 2004

Hi,

My name is Wayne Yang.  I am interested in doing an analysis on my ethnic
language--Hmong.  During my study at Midwestern Baptist Theological
Seminary, I took the 2 required language courses--Greek & Hebrew.  As we
went through the different aspects of grammar in each language, I was able
to also do a grammar analysis on the Hmong langauge as well in my own
time.  I have most of the project done (at least I think I do).  My goal
is to write a language analysis on the Hmong language.

I am writing you all to ask whether I should pursue a degree in
Linguistics or not.  I have no other formal education in linguistics--my
undergraduate and graduate degrees are both in ministry-related fields.
Also, I've contemplated on whether I should go ahead and pursue my Ph.D.
or Masters in Linguistics or would it be better to get my Bachelors.  I
really enjoy teaching on a post-secondary level, however, it doesn't seem
too exciting to me to be teaching linguistics even though I wouldn't mind
either.

Please help.  I am going to graduate this spring and would like to start
next fall.  That means I would need to take the GRE next month and apply
to the college immediately following that--not to mention preparations for
the GRE.

Also, any of you familiar with KU's school of linguistics?  If so, what do
you think about their program and school?

Thank you.  I would greatly appreciate it!

Partners in Serving the Hmong,

Xf. Wayne Yang

Hmong Village :: Your Home and Portal in the Hmong World
http://www.HmongVillage.com