[Ethnocomm] Looking for articles investigating the (irrelevant) use of loaded terms

Liene Ločmele liene.locmele at va.lv
Wed Oct 20 05:23:40 UTC 2021

Dear colleagues and friends,

I am looking for EC and related writings that investigate participants' use of loaded terms to express and legitimize their feelings of frustration (and everything else). Some of typical examples of it would be naming the Covid-19 vaccination a genocide, attempts to promote vaccination as propaganda or dictatorship etc. Of course, it goes beyond the context of pandemic.

I have been investigating the notions of doublespeak, reframing, reinformation, semantic tyranny. These are rooted in writings from the fields of media studies, public relations, and political communication and include a component of intent and a strategic use to achieve political aims in public realm. However, I am focusing on interpersonal communication and would like to find a good way how to name this in the context of everyday interaction.

Any help in directing me to further readings will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Liene

Liene Ločmele, lecturer
Vidzeme University of Applied Sciences