[Ethnocomm] Creation of an EthnoComm repository

Nimrod Shavit nshavit at protonmail.ch
Tue Mar 8 16:53:56 UTC 2022

Hi all,

I’d like to inform you on the creation of an open source repository for the ethnocomm society (AKA people who receive this mail).

The repository is now accessible in the open source production platform known as GitHub. The address is:

https://github.com/nimshav/EthnoComm-Repository

As for now, I published the collaborative bibliography we constructed as an html file in the address:

https://nimshav.github.io/EthnoComm-Repository/

It is crude but functional. The biggest advantage is that we will not have to rely on any individual’s private google account. I will transfer the ownership of the repository to the next admin in the same way we transfer ownership of this ver list.

A detailed explanation for how to commit changes into the source file will be delivered soon. The language is html, so edits should be rather simple. Additional advantage of the GitHub workflow is a better control over editing and versioning as each individual commit is approved by the admin and an immediate backup version is created and archived by the system.

In the future, I will see if there is a convenient way to store and circulate actual research materials.

In the meantime, I leave the original google doc intact. It is available from my personal account at:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RvJIQV7lXNIltnvpYKRhG7Ma1YUZXXJWVg_1Pu_R0cA/edit

If you do not want to bother with any of the above, just keep making changes within this original doc. I’ll revisit and commit all your changes from it to the Git website on a regular basis.

nimrod