[Ethnocomm] Cultural Codes of Communication in Nigeria

Wendy Leeds-Hurwitz wendy.leeds.hurwitz at gmail.com
Fri May 19 14:28:25 UTC 2023

A few suggestions, Lisa (and I'm copying everyone else to avoid later
duplication):

Olaoye, A. A. (2013). Sociolinguistic Documentation of Endangered
Ethnography of Communication in Yoruba Language. *Journal on English
Language Teaching, 3*(4), 42-48.

Ajayi, T. (2015). Application of Dell Hymes' Ethnography of Communication
to Police-Suspect Discourse: A Case Study of the Criminal igatlon
Department, Iyaganku Police Station, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria. *Papers in
English and Linguistics, 16*, 40-53.

Olaoye, A. A. (2013). Languages in contact, a blessing or a scourge? A case
study of Yoruba ethnography of greetings. *Theory and Practice in Language
Studies, 3*(4), 669.

Kachru, B. B., & Nelson, C. L. (2009). World Englishes. In S. L. McKay & N.
H. Hornberger (Eds.), *Sociolinguistics and language teaching* (pp.
71-102). New York: Cambridge University Press. (Nigeria is used as an
example throughout)

Not sure any of these is really what you want, but they're the ones I know
of.

Wendy

On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 7:18 AM Lisa Rudnick <rudnick.lisa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Ethnocommers -
>
> My colleagues and I are involved in a (non-academic) project in Nigeria
> (both Bauchi State and in Lagos) exploring women's experiences around three
> key areas of Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (RMNCH). We
> are working with Igbo, Hausa, and Yorba speakers.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone is aware of any ethnocomm work that might be
> helpful to us as we try to learn more about emic theories of communication
> in these contexts.
>
> Thanks very much for any ideas!
>
> Lisa Rudnick

Wendy Leeds-Hurwitz, Ph.D.