book reviews

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Mon May 26 03:38:09 UTC 2008

Dear Funk folks,

Sometime last fall there was an  interesting  exchange  on  Funknet,
about  book  reviewing. It was initiated, I think, by Esa Itkonen, with
Suzanne Kemmer and Martin Haspelmath pitching in. I think Werner Abraham
was on it  too, tho this may have been in private. What transpired,
leastwise for me, was Martin's suggestion that Internet reviewing was
the was of the future, and was sooner or later going to supplant
traditional  journal  book reviews.

I had long before come to the sad conclusion  that journal  book
reviewing was a negative, destructive genre. As I kept reading reviews,
it seemed clear that reviewers were seldom writing about the book they
were commissioned to review. Rather, their reviews were mostly about
themselves. What they seemed  to be doing  was  use  the occasion of
reviewing  someone else's work as a platform  from which to display
their own work, erudition, smarts or sarcasm.  My own sad experience
with  book reviewing, discontinued in utter self-disgust thirty years
ago, was alas no exception. Perhaps I was young and didn't know better.
But the last one, in 1978, almost cost me one of my dearest friends.

Ever since then, I have steadfastly turned down  requests  to  review
books  for  journals. On one of  the last occasions, ca. 1990, an editor
asked me to review a 1989 book about pragmatics, written by a notorious
blunt-axe  reviewer. I smelled a rat, and asked him point blank: Did you
by any chance ask her to review my 1989 book for the same issue?  He
hemmed an hawed, I  could  hear him fairly fidgeting over the phone. I
declined the offer. Then I found out that many reviews are handled this
way by journal editors.  Or worse:  people with an axe to grind ask
editors  to review books by  authors  they bear a grudge  toward. What a
way to settle scores,  with the connivance (or worse, innocence) of
journal editors.

One idea stuck, though: If I were ever to review a book again, I'd only
review one I really, really, liked. For  what is the point of doing
otherwise? If we don't like a book, shouldn't we perhaps just let it be?
In  this spirit, I am sharing with you five short and somewhat
non-traditional reviews, of five books I have read this last year. They
all bear, directly or indirectly, on one topic dear to my heart--the
evolution of language. What is more, I can say without the slightest
reservation that I recommend  these books  most  highly. In one way or
another, they each combine three  features that make a book, any book,
most enjoyable: They deal with exciting, relevant  subject  matter; they
churn out terrific ideas; and they are exceptionally well written. In order:

*Frans deWaal (2001) "The Ape and the Sushi Master",  NY: Basic Books*
For anyone who knows deWaal's previous work ("Chimpanzee  Politics",
1982; "Peacemaking Among the Apes", 1989; inter alia), this book is not
a surprise. What you get, in addition to the lively story telling, is a
tour de force of the apparently-still-controversial topic of the
evolution of culture, rolled together with an astute introduction to
Darwinian evolutionary thinking, Cosmides/Tooby's  Evolutionary
Psychology, E.O. Wilson and Sociobiology, and more. In the dualist
Cartesian  tradition  that  still infests  much of the humanities and
social sciences, evolution has been conceded only grudgingly--as long as
it stops at the neck. The body may be subject to its deterministic base
'laws', but not the mind, culture  or language. This has tended to
short-change  both biology and the humanities. In biology, the evidence
of pre-human  cultural evolution had tended to be ignored. In the social
sciences and the humanities, the manifest evolutionary foundations of
culture were dismissed as crude determinism, biological reductionism,
Freudian "science envy", Social Darwinism, or just plain insult to the
unconstrained  freedom  of the human spirit. What Frans DeWaal does in
this wonderful book is take you  through the history, the controversies,
the recalcitrant issues, and above all, the evidence of pre-human
culture. What you come out with is a sense of the fine-grained
interpenetrability of biology and culture, and the profound unity of
all living things. You also come out with the bracing  feeling that we
are not alone, and that being a biological species does not in any way
slight out vertiginous  uniqueness.

*David Geary (2005) "The Origin of Mind", Washington, DC: American
Psychological Association*
This book does not have the story-telling  spice of deWaal's work, so
that  its excitement is considerably  more  subtle. It is a decidedly
scholarly romp through the several interlocking traditions that feed
into the study of the evolution of mind. It is, first, a superb
introduction to Darwinian bio-evolution. It is an accessible primer to
Cognitive   Neuroscience. It is also a sober elucidation of Evolutionary
Psychology, of which Geary himself is a respected practitioner. In the
bargain, you get a strong whiff of deWaal's sense of culture as a
biological phenomenon, and of biology as the deepest, thus often  most
subtle,  undergirding of culture. You also get an evolutionary
perspective on the brain, a perspective that takes for granted the
reciprocal mapping of  structural and functional organization.  A
particularly strong feature is the initial division of mental
representation into folk physics, folk biology and folk psychology,
three categories of adaptive  experience  that are familiar to both
anthropologists and  linguists. Within  this enlightened framework,  the
adaptively-selected evolution of mental representation ceases to be
arbitrary; it makes a terrific amount of sense. And the table on p. 129
is a most helpful, if schematic, division of adaptive-functional
domains  that have acquired neuro-structural expression. Geary's
treatment of language is not all that comprehensive, and  is scattered
all over the map, something one has gotten used to in books written by
psychologists.  But for the discerning  reader, the language-relevant
stuff  is there, hiding in  plain  sight. And the discussion of
Theories  of  Mind  (mind  reading), in part a crucial pre-condition to,
in part a consequence of the evolution of language, is reviewed
extensively and integrated well into the evolutionary narrative. It you
have the stomach  for uncompromising scholarship and an exhaustive
bibliography, this book will keep you going.

*Dorothy Cheyney and Robert Seyfarth (2007) "Baboon Metaphysics",
Chicago: University of Chicago Press*
In their "How Monkeys See the World" (1990), this pair of long-time
collaborators--a biologist and a psychologist, respectively and field
primatologists  as a team--gave us the social and communicative world of
the vervet monkeys of the East African Veld and their inimitable vocal
predator calls. In their latest book they have taken on the baboons of
the inland Okavango delta in Botswana. Their  research  methodology
remains the same--painstaking, long-term on-site field observations
combined with sophisticated, ingeniously designed field experiments.
They are after what underlies the social structure of the baboon
society--the social-communicative mind. With a title that could have
more aptly been given as  Baboon Epistemology, Cheyney, Seyfarth and
their team  probe  the  intricate social  structure of  the large Baboon
social group (up to 150, largest among primates), contrasting  the tight
stability of  female-headed  matrilinial  families with the
ever-shifting,  harsh  milieu of the adjunct itinerant  males. Having
established who is whose kin, who talks to who, who outranks who and
who-all are friends and allies, their real quest is  the social mind:
What do these  baboons  know about each other's beliefs (epistemics) and
intentions (deontics). The agenda  is  thus well embedded in  the
burgeoning literature of Theories of Mind, and the method is
unimpeachably experimental. In the process, you get an extensive,
scintillating  review  of  Darwin's evolutionary agenda and Evolutionary
Psychology, of cultural anthropology, social  primatology  and more.
Above  all, you get to know the monkeys in their natural ecology, with
their insecurities, ingenuity, joy and grief. It is a rude  world  they
inhabit, among  feline, canine, reptilian--and  on occasion
human--predators. Both  the  monkeys  and the research team acquit
themselves admirably. Between them, they teach us not only  what it
feels like being an Okavango baboon, but also what it might mean to be
human.

*Bernd Heine and Tania Kuteva (2007) "The Genesis  of  Grammar", Oxford:
Oxford  University Press*
I  have saved for last two books by old friends, hoping to have
convinced you  that my admiration for a book is not contingent on
personal bonds. Heine and Kuteva's book is unabashedly  about language
evolution, damn  the torpedoes--but  not full speed ahead. For before
expounding on the central  theme, the authors run you through the
mill--an impeccable  review of the LangEvol  lit, a grand tour  of
diachrony and grammaticalization, of pidginization and  animal
communication.  Two whole chapters are given to the genesis of
complexity  and  recursion, courtesy of Chomsky's latest, regrettable
foray into  the field of language evolution (Hauser et al. 2002). They
don't argue that the comparative data base is  compellingly
relevant--they simply lay  the data  out, side by side, with meticulous
care  and with only one regrettable omission,  ontogeny (child  language
acquisition). When the evolutionary hypotheses come  at the end (ch. 7,
"Early Language"), they are handled with the due care and modesty that
befits  true  scholarship. This is a  source-book in the best sense, it
guides you through the complexity of the topic, and the diversity of
approaches. It is a pleasure to read and a privilege to recommend.

*Derek Bickerton (2008) "Bastard Tongues", NY: Farrar, Straus & Giroux*
This book, a gem by a linguist's linguist,  is two books  rolled  into
one. It is first a personal memoir of a  restless, swashbuckling,
globe-trotting linguist in the grand ol' tradition of the great 19th
Century  explorers--Richard Burton, Henry Stanley, John Wesley Powell.
This Bickerton  shows  you that there are still wild places to roam and
great watering holes to splash in; all you need is an ounce of passion,
a spark of the  imagination. It is, second, the story of Pidgin and
Creole  languages and what they might mean to our understanding of human
language and its genesis. One of the few unabashed evolutionist in
linguistics, ever  since  his "Roots of  Language (1981) and "Language
and Species" (1990), Bickerton  landed upon the staid, smug,
self-satisfied Creolist scene in 1975 like a  ton  of bricks, shaking
the  parapets  but, as one could imagine,  making few converts. It was
then and still is now a field rife--perhaps ripe--with the celebration
of local peculiarity and  minutely-documented diversity, an empiricist
mistrust  for  theory and a monumental disdain for universals; thanks
but no thanks, old  boy;  not in my back-yard. On this conservative ,
self-conserving  backdrop, Bickerton had the audacity, indeed the
temerity, to suggest that  there was an exciting theoretical  story
lurking  behind  the mind-numbing diversity of Pidgins and Creoles. All
you needed was a modicum of imagination. Some pizzaz. He pointed to the
obvious but got nowhere. The rest is a story of academic warfare, of
intellectual victories  snatched  from the jaws of bureaucratic defeats.
The centerpiece is a rare  jewel--a front-seat  account  of  the
infamous Island Project. It is colorful, convoluted and sad;  a morality
tale of an audacious  research proposal  that was yanked off the gravy
train just in the nick of time; and of how lively ideas that beg to be
explored  can bog down in the timidity and small-mindedness of the
academic review process. Above all, it is a tale of grand-scale science,
of a hypothesis still begging to be tested. A lesser man would have been
deflated. Bickerton just keeps forging on.

Best,  TG