"Relative clauses" with no relativized element

Philippe De Brabanter phdebrab at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 11 10:03:35 UTC 2010

Dear all,

this is just to say that the Cambridge Grammar of the English Language, like
several other grammars I'm aware of, does mention the sorts of constructions Tom
is wondering about (esp. pp. 964-67). They're treated as noun complements,
whereas relative clauses usually function as modifiers of nouns.
H&P give a useful list of nouns licensing these complements (a list which
confirms Suzanne Kemmerer's point that these nouns do not always have a verbal
counterpart taking a content clause as its complement — H&P suggest that the
most frequent of those licensing nouns is fact).
They also point out that content clauses can also sometimes function as
supplements (i.e. appositives), as in

I'm inclined to favour your first suggestion, that we shelve the proposal until
after the election.

This confirms Suzanne's suggestion that we shouldn't say that the clausal noun
complements are appositives.

One last interesting point. On p. 967, H&P show that the licensor may sometimes
be more than just a noun, with certain constructions like have + licensing NP or
existential there + be facilitating (or being conditions for) the clausal noun
complement:

The present system has the disadvantage that it is inordinately complicated.
vs. ? The disadvantage that it is inordinately complicated has been overlooked.

Probably an example like

This principle may ground some optimism that the account can be usefully
pursued. (M. Sainsbury 2002: "Reference and anaphora", Mind & Language)

also derives its acceptability from a construction rather than from just
optimism.

Best,

Philippe De Brabanter
Paris 4 - Sorbonne