Phrases of politeness

Luke Kundl Pinette lkpinette at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 11:51:06 UTC 2011

Hello all,
I'm curious as to whether there's been any research done on systematics
of standard terms of politeness, in the same was as for color or
evidentiality.

Most materials for learning languages seem to assume that each language
has distinct terms for hello, goodbye, good
morning/afternoon/evening/night, please, thank you, I'm sorry, and
excuse me/pardon.  This make things interesting in cases like Korean,
which uses one greeting for all times of the day but distinguishes
formality, or Hawaiian, which uses the same term for "hello" and
"goodbye."  (My Arabic teacher also claimed that "you're welcome" and
"sorry" are the same term in Modern Standard Arabic, though every Arabic
speaker I've met claims this isn't the case in their variety of spoken
Arabic.)

On the other hand, it seems reasonable to assume that some languages
might have more such distinctions.  I have a few examples, but I don't
speak more than a few phrases of any of these languages, and haven't had
the opportunity to interrogate native speakers.

  *   I've been told by English speakers of Korean that there are two
    forms of "goodbye" depending on whether the speaker is staying or
    going going "anyeongikaseo" and "anyeongikeseo." (I forget which is
    which.)
  * I think that the Japanese term "sumimasen" which can mean "thank
    you" or "I'm sorry" might roughly correspond to "thanks, and I'm
    sorry for the trouble," as opposed to "gomen nasai" (sorry) or
    "arigatoo" (thanks), but the one Japanese speaker I asked told me
    it's just a three-way distinction an English speaker won't be able
    to make.
  * Wikitravel claims that Georgian has four forms of pardon/excuse
    me/sorry, which appear to making distinctions not present in
    English, though I won't even try to speculate on the exact glosses.
    /uk'atsravad/ (excuse me: pay attention), /map'atiye (excuse
    me/pardon)/ /bodishi, (//excuse me/pardon/sorry), //vts'ukhvar/ (sorry)

So I guess my questions are:
1. Can anybody confirm, deny, or correct the above examples?
2. Does anybody know other such additional distinctions in other languages?
3. Does anyone know if there's been research into the systematics of
politeness.  (E.g. A language that distinguishes "sorry" and "excuse me"
will also distinguish "hello" and "goodbye" or somesuch.)

Thanks and regards (and a happy early New Year's),
Luke