Versatility?

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Mon Mar 21 00:41:38 UTC 2011

     Aya, I've been thinking about your "rooster" example.  I think one
important factor is that the noun "rooster" has become much more
frequent than the verb "roost."  As English-speaking societies have
become less and less agricultural, we see roosters a lot less
frequently, our opportunities to see them roosting dwindle, and thus
roosting has become less significant as a characteristic of roosters.
In contrast, I think that most English speakers would be able to tell
you why a particular kind of bird is called a "roaster."

     Other derived words that have similarly outpaced their roots, like
"computer," and we'd expect them to be treated similarly.

--
				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
				grvsmth at panix.com