Proverbs

Tim Thornes timthornes at boisestate.edu
Wed Nov 14 05:15:10 UTC 2012

I don't know that my original reply to all was delivered to funknet,
as my recent change of email address appeared to have shut me out
momentarily as a discussant.

My comment regarded the apparent lack of proverbs as a distinct
discourse genre in Native North American languages, as per Victor's
reply. I was responding in part to Elizabeth's comment and to
Marianne's and Wally's insights:

"I was struck with the same idea regarding the invocation of a well
known story in Native America as serving the same "wise saying"
function of a proverb. I was thinking, too, of Coyote stories and how
the simple mention of one (of the stories) serves as a reminder not to
be vain, greedy,
garrulous, disobedient, disrespectful, or lascivious. Perhaps it is
the invocation itself that serves (a proverbial role), since, as
Marianne points out,
storytelling carries a broader range of functions.

Cheers, Tim

--
TimThornes
Assistant Professor of Linguistics