[gothic-l] diphthongs?

Eric Nash nash at UCLA.EDU
Wed Jul 12 17:08:47 UTC 2000

Thomas,
>I do have one question, re pronunciation: according to the books on
>Gothic I've seen (Wright's primer and grammar, and Bennett's
>"Introduction") it seems to be the academic consensus that in the
>Gothic of Wulfila "ai" and "au" were open vowels /E/ and /O/, and it
>is merely an academic convention to use the accents (ái, áu,
>aí, aú)
	From my reading of Bennet, I understood that "a'i" and "a'u" were
diphthongs, "ai' " and "au' " were short /e/ and /o/ respectively and "ai"
and "au" were long /e/ and /o/.  This was how we read it in my Gothic class
at UCLA as well.
-Eric

WRITERS WANTED! Themestream allows ALL writers to publish their
articles on the Web, reach thousands of interested readers, and get
paid in cash for their work. Click below: