Cladistic language concepts

Isidore Dyen isidore.dyen at yale.edu
Wed Aug 12 23:47:34 UTC 1998

I think you have understood what I was aiming at. As for the family-tree
problem, that has to be separated into a theoretical problem and a
practical problem.

The first is easier to handle. It depends on the prohibition of mixing.
If languages can divide, but not mix, the fami.y-tree diagram applies.
Then
multiple branching from the same point can only occur if they
a resimultaneous. Practically however Only well-determined branches can be
found with the consequence that multiple apparently simultaneous
branchings result because the time-determinations cannot be fine enough.
In principle this view of the family-tree can apply to bioology witholut
difficulty if different species are not permitted to interbreed.
As for the reference to my article I can't give to you now, but I can
about three weeks from now at Dyen at hawaii.edu. The book has been
published.