Tilde

Christopher Manning manning at CS.Stanford.EDU
Tue Sep 12 03:16:37 UTC 2006

Not quoting The Comprehensive Latex Symbol List, I'd give the following advice:

\~{} and $\sim$ both look awful.  Don't do it to yourself.  Just using ~ is
at least invisible :-).

\usepackage{textcomp} \texttildelow should be the right answer but in
practice it suffers both from inconsistency as to at what height the tilde
appears depending on the font (very bad for bib files) and from the fact
that the resulting character cannot be successfully copy-and-pasted or
searched for in PDF documents derived from TeX.

So, what I actually recommend using is \texttt{\~}. The font match may not
be perfect, but it's better than a CMR \texttildelow hugging the baseline,
and your readers will appreciate being able to copy-and-paste your URLs.

Chris.