Jerome

Sheila Watts sw271 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 8 09:30:20 UTC 1999

Peter/ Graham say, re my posting about Jerome:

>>(c) the need for the stress to be on the message, not the beauty of style:
>>  A translation for the Church, even if it has beauty of style, ought to
>>hide and even shun it,

> None of this has anything to do with the actual language.

Certainly it does, though I'll concede that points (a) and (b) are
peripheral. The accusation was that Jerome wrote 'bad Latin'. And I was
trying to agree that Jerome's Latin fell short of his own classical models
and that he was aware of this, but thought that it was a regrettable but
necessary concomitant of producing a translation for the church where
conveying the message was more important than being stylish.

Sheila Watts
Dr Sheila Watts
Newnham College
Cambridge CB3 9DF