IE creole?

manaster at umich.edu manaster at umich.edu
Sat Feb 13 18:57:53 UTC 1999

I agree with Jens, of course.  And would just add this:
it is a really bad habit to use terms like 'creole' loosely.
IE could perhaps be a "creole" in the same sense that
English or Polish are "creoles", i.e., languages with
some elements from source X and some from source Y,
but then every language would be a "creole".

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Jens Elmegaard Rasmussen wrote:

[snip]

> I must object to the idea that PIE arose by creolization. PIE is a
> language of a most complex type.

[snip]