NEW BOOK IN IE

Carol F. Justus cjustus at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jan 26 15:19:06 UTC 1999

I wonder if readers have seen Elizabeth Wayland Barber's new book entitled
THE MUMMIES OF UERUEMCHI (1999 W. W. Norton Press). It was reviewed in the
NY TIMES a week or so ago and is a very readable account of the Tarim Basin
/ Tocharian evidence. It is written for the general public but based on
some very solid scholarship. The volumes edited by Victor Mair (2 volumes:
THE BRONZE AGE AND EARLY IRONAGE PEOPLES OF EASTERN CENTRAL ASIA, 1998,
Institute for the Study of Man and Univ. of Penn. Museum Publications)
contain individual articles that she obviously draws on, including her own
excellent article.

Also, on the wheel, Yigael Yadin did an excellent book with illustrations
on the development of it, the chariot, and other weapons during the
attested part of our IE prehistory. The entire horse issue might well be
informed / constrained by some of his excellently documented points (with
illustrations from sculpture, e.g.).

CFJ