Language Succession

Tue Jan 26 18:05:50 UTC 1999

	I get the feeling that in England, the fact that the conquest [from
Kent to Cumberland & Cornwall] took a good 500 years may have had a hand in
this. They were presumibly able to "digest" the conquest in small enough
chunks that they could impose a minority language upon them one shire at a
time, whereas the Franks, Goths, Bungundians, Lombards & Normans conquered
large territories all at once.

[snip]