rate of change

Thu Mar 4 18:18:41 UTC 1999

	Actually, it's much easier for Portuguese & Spanish speakers to
speak about sophisticated subjects because the vocabulary is even closer.
When people speak about simple subjects, they tend to use slang or --at the
least-- more idiomatic. I'd say the difference is pretty much like the
difference between a standard version of English and a patois version, or
between American & a local British dialect or non-standard Jamaican English.
	There is no such language as "Gallego-Spanish". There is, however,
galego or Galician, called gallego in Spanish. It is closer to Portuguese
than to Spanish and, in my experience, is more difficult to understand than
Brazilian Portuguese or standard Continental Portuguese. The Galician
literary standard, however, is a bit easier to read. But Galician is a
series of spoken dialects.
	Note:
	Spanish 	lobo /loBo/
	Portuguese 	lobo /loBu, lobu/