Error on pastoralism

Dan Tompkins dtompkin at thunder.ocis.temple.edu
Sat Mar 6 17:48:16 UTC 1999

On consulting some notes I realize I had it wrong on Skydsgaard.  There
are two essays in the Whittaker volume dealing with transhumance.  Here
is my summary of the one by Stephen Hodkinson:

 Hodkinson, S. (1988). Animal husbandry in the Greek polis. C. R.
Whittaker (editor), Pastoral Economies in Classical Antiquity, Cambridge
Philological Society Supplementary Volume 14,  (pp. 35- 74). Cambridge,
England: Cambridge University Press.

Argues that pastoralism and agriculture were integrated more than
standard view holds.   (As I recall, SH was opposing the standard view as
a form of "environmental determinism" based on departure of flocks from
valleys in summer due to heat, and consequent lack of manure in fields).
Skydsgaard in same volume opposes this view; Spurr in his review JRS 79
(1989) also has reservations.  Spurr says small farmers could devise ways
to keep flocks on farm all yr round, and himself opposes environmental
determinism.  Jameson in "Agric. Labor in Ancient Greece" in Berit Wells
(ed) Agriculture in Ancient Greece (Stockholm, 1992)  finds the notion
that animal husbandry on small scale was an "integral part of mixed
agriculture" convincing.

Dan Tompkins