Laryngeals

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Thu Mar 11 05:45:51 UTC 1999

"Anthony Appleyard" <mclssaa2 at fs2.mt.umist.ac.uk> wrote:

>And we need a reasonably compact name for the {h.} sound, like we have for
>its voiced counterpart `ayin'.

h.eth?

>> In view of the fact that [3] is used for the Egyptian vulture, which was
>> really an /r/, .I am reluctant to adopt that suggestion.

>  I thought that the Egyptian vulture (Neophron percnopterus) was the glottal
>stop. The 3-like sign that Egyptologists use for that sign is specific to
>Egyptology.

The sound had developed to a glottal stop in later Egyptian
(where it functions much like Semitic alef to mark the vowel /a/
in "syllabic" writing).  In Old Egyptian it probably was a uvular
fricative or trill /R/, and it usually derives from etymological
(PAA) *r.   The Egptian /r/ usually comes from PAA *l.

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam