Borrowing pronouns

maher, johnpeter jpmaher at neiu.edu
Thu Mar 18 16:00:00 UTC 1999

More:

1. In northern Italy there was dislike for the southern etiquette with
<tu/Voi> instead of <tu> vs. <Lei/Loro>. A driver stopped by the Polizia
Stradale -- cops, typically serve far from home, where they might sympathize
with the locals -- could be toyed with, given the pronominal sociology. The
northern speeder could address the cop, in full compliance with the
Mussolinian etiquette, with <Voi>, with both parties knowing full well that
the northerner scorned both the usage and the cop from the south.

2. As of 1960, in the Veneto, dialect speakers were uncomfortable with the
feminine pronoun <Lei> in addressing a man. They address a man with their
masculine pronoun <Lu>.

jpm