Laryngeals

iffr762 at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu iffr762 at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 18 02:49:03 UTC 1999

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Glen Gordon wrote:

> Well, certainly *H2 and *H3 appear to lower IE vowels. As far as I
> understand, both *a and *o are low vowels (an important thing to keep in
> mind),

	No, /o/ is a mid vowel and a front low vowel (unrounded, which
would be the expectation) would be /ae/ (the vowel of "cat"), not /a/.

					DLW

[ Moderator's note:
  The usual ASCII IPA transcription for the front low unrounded vowel is [&].
  I have stated in the past that I think we should adopt this transcription
  until we can start using real IPA fonts, so that we all know what is meant by
  a form in someone else's posting.
  -rma ]