borrowing pronouns

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Fri Mar 19 14:50:07 UTC 1999

Rick:

>	I've never come across vuste', ect., anywhere in Latin America but
>that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. But I'd wonder if it wasn't heard
>from a Spanish immigrant.

Coromines (DEiCCat):
"vuste' en el Nord d'Equador (Lemos, Prov. ecuatoriano, $54);
buste' en boca d'un venec,ola` amazo`nic (Eust. Rivera, La
Vora'gine, p. 194); a zones colombianes: Cuervo, Obra Ine'd., p.
160, i n. 50, a la Gram. de Bello, tambe' ho cita en valls del
Sud de Col.; i en una <<coplilla>> oi"da cap a Bogota`: <<E'cheme
un cuartillo 'e chicha / ... / ya vuste' me entendera' / ... >>
(Cuervo, Apunt. Bog.7, 587).

Doesn't Corominas mention 'usta:dh in DCEC/DCEH?  I seem to
recall that he does, but I don't have either at hand.  In DEiCC,
he just says: "Com e's ben sabut, voste` resulta` d'una
contraccio' de vostra merce`".

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam