IE, Genetic Data, Languages of Anatolia

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Wed Mar 31 01:14:04 UTC 1999

Dear Miguel and IEists:

----- Original Message -----
From: Miguel Carrasquer Vidal <mcv at wxs.nl>
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 1999 12:59 PM

 <snip>

> Any theory about the PIE "dog" word should deal with the
> irregular Latin form canis (*k^an-).  All I can suggest about it
> is that there may be an alternation Lat. a ~ *aw, as is also seen
> in Lat. caput ~ Pre-Gmc. *kawput?

I believe the preferable explanation is that Latin canis is from a slightly
different IE root, namely *^w'niH-. Whether or not this zero-grade *k^w-
could result in Latin ca- rather than the more usual cu- is a question
others will address more competently than I can.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN (501) 227-9947; FAX/DATA (501)312-9947 9115 W. 34th St.
Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: and PROTO-RELIGION: "Veit ek, at ek
hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim meipi er mangi
veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)