gandul 'lazy'

Sat May 22 17:39:01 UTC 1999

As far as I know, gandules are eaten in most of Latin America and parts of
Spain. You can buy gandules in the US packed by Goya, a company from Spain.
They are very popular in Cuba [where I had a plate of gandules], Puerto
Rico, Dominican Republic, Central America, etc. Everyone I've talked to
from South America knows what they are as well. In the US, they're popular
among Cuban-Americans, Dominicans & Puerto Ricans. In Central America,
they're considered as a poor man's substitute for green peas --which are a
delicacy there. And green peas are a real lexical mess: petipoa/s,
petipua/s, arvejas, arverjas, ervejas, guisantes [de olor], chi/charos
[verdes], etc. are used just in Central America.

[snip]

>Still no trace of 'pigeon pea'. BTW, where do they eat arroz con gandules?
>Nobody in the family or their acquaintances seem to have heard of it (Spain,
>Perú, Venezuela, Cuba...).

[snip]