Pronunciation of <asthma> (Was: minimal pairs)

Jim Rader jrader at Merriam-Webster.com
Wed Dec 20 20:28:43 UTC 2000

I checked Merriam-Webster's' pronunciation files, which go back
about 50 years, and there is virtually zero evidence for a
pronunciation with an interdental consonant--however, most of the
citational evidence is from professionals in medicine and science.
Our unabridged dictionary of 1934 did contain variant
pronunciations with interdental fricatives, but they were dropped
from the more recent _Webster's Third New International_ of 1961.

A very deliberate pronunciation with edh is noted from a TV
commercial made in 1972 by Carroll O'Connor, who played the
character Archie Bunker in the U.S. television series _All in the
Family_ (1971-79).  Of course, malapropisms and
mispronunciations were part of O'Connor's "Archie Bunker" shtick,
and if he was in character when making the commercial, the
pronunciation with edh would have been taken as part of the shtick
and hence a deliberate mispronunciation.

Jim Rader