SV: GREEK PREHISTORY AND IE (EVIDENCE?)

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at online.no
Sun Feb 6 12:26:41 UTC 2000

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal [SMTP:mcv at wxs.nl] skrev 05. februar 2000 00:55:

>The Neolithic
> Revolution was the second most important such event in European
> history (the most important was the introduction of language --as
> we know it-- itself in the Upper Paleolithic, 50-40,000 BP).

Exactly how do you know that language as we know it was introduced in the Upper
Paleolithic? Modern man has apparently been around for the last 300,000 years,
with all the necessary bodily apparatus needed for speech production. Given
that his success depended upon group work, I find it rather improbable that
language as we know it did not develop much earlier than the Upper Paleolithic.
So why should 50,000 BP be the limit?

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse