German ge- ptcpl cognates?

Hans Holm Hans_Holm at h2.maus.de
Mon Jan 31 06:38:00 UTC 2000

SC>the tree computed by Ringe, Warnow and Taylor is as follows:

..How can we discuss a Hypothesis that never has been completely
published?
Until now I have read three articles on the 'Ringe-Warnow-Taylor-Tree':

- 1996 Warnow/Ringe/Taylor: "Reconstructing the evolutionary history of
  natural languages" in Procds 7th annual AMC-SIAM Symp discr. algorithms,
  ch.36;
- 1997 Warnow: "Mathematical approaches to comparative linguistics" in
  PNAS 94:6585-90;
- 1997 Bonet/Phillips/Warnow/Yooseph: "Inferring Evolutionary Trees from
  Polymorphic Characters, and an Analysis of the Indo-European Family of
  Languages" in DIMACS 37:43-55.
- the html-page as abridged form.

Compared with e.g. Dyen/Kruskal/Black 1992 or even Krishnamurti/Moses/
Danforth 1983 the 'UPenn-tree' is not as completely documented as to be
comprehensible.
*I* am not able to trace the decisions leading to /this/ mystery tree in
detail.
Perhaps can anyone help me. Warnow, Ringe did not.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Hans J. Holm, Meckauerweg 18, D-30629 Hannover
 Tel=FAX x39-511-9585714.