Crimean Gothic

Eduard Selleslagh edsel at glo.be
Mon Apr 30 10:05:40 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Gustafson" <stevegus at aye.net>
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2001 2:56 AM

> What intrigues me most about the list is that Busbecq's Goths seem to have
> contracted a case of i-umlaut, and applied it where you wouldn't necessarily
> expect to see it from the attested Ulfilas forms: augona > oeghene; *skiutan
> > schiete.  Of course the value of Busbecq's 'oe' may make a difference
> here.

[Ed Selleslagh]

In the old Dutch spelling (before modern times) the addition of an <-e> to a
vowel simply indicated that it's long; in modern Dutch, a double vowel is
written, except in the case of <i>, where the long version is still <ie> (ae,
ee, ie, ue instead of modern aa, ee, ie, uu).

So <oeghene> is pronounced  /o:[gamma]@n@ /