Crimean Gothic

Mon Apr 30 15:19:09 UTC 2001

	Diamond points out that "Classical" Gothic (my term, not his) is
not ancestral to Crimean Gothic and that Busbecq somewhat arbitrarily
called the language Gothic --although Diamond agrees that it was a form of
Gothic. Diamond does go into some of the details in his article.

>What intrigues me most about the list is that Busbecq's Goths seem to have
>contracted a case of i-umlaut, and applied it where you wouldn't necessarily
>expect to see it from the attested Ulfilas forms: augona > oeghene; *skiutan >
>schiete.  Of course the value of Busbecq's 'oe' may make a difference here.

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women
Columbus MS 39701